Thursday, August 02, 2007

Not a close call but close enough for me

Tera, Emma and I went shopping yesterday at a couple of baby stores. We left home at around 3:30 in the afternoon and arrived in Northeast Mpls. somewhere around 4:00. After we left the store and made a quickie diaper change we started to head to the suburbs south of the city. I figured we could head towards the University of Minnesota and hop on the highway from there. As we approached the onramp I discovered that it was closed due to the normal summer construction that occurs around the Twin Cities. This closed on ramp was at the beginning of the I-35 bridge that extends over the Mississippi River. We decided to go to the next available bridge which was 50 yards further down University Avenue. We crossed and headed on to the next baby store. This was somewhere around 4:30pm. We got home at 5:45, fed Emma and then Tera and I ate shortly after that. A little before 7:00 I turned on the TV and the news was already pouring in.

I like so many other Minnesotans I have driven over this bridge hundreds of times. For a while this was part of my driving route to my job. It is so strange to be in a city that has something so terrible happen. I am unable to imagine what New Yorkers went through on 9/11. What is even more strange is that we attempted to cross the bridge a little and hour before it's collapse. Heck, I drove over the bridge the morning of the collapse to pick some of Emma's things at Tera's parents.

Please pray for the families of the dead, injured and missing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jason and tera, i have been thinking of you both all day. so glad to know you are ok. God has bigger plans for you still!

we will be praying for all the families who have lost someone and those that are still missing.

again, glad you are all ok!