Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Making ends meet...


Some things change...some things stay the same. Back when were in the process of adopting Emma we decided it would be a good idea if I got a part time job at the airline. Flight benefits and a little extra money definitely helped the cause. The work was physical and the hours were brutal. At that time on a weekly basis I was working an average of 80 hours a week. This lasted for approximately 9 months. A couple of months before Emma came home I resigned from the airline job so I could fully take on the responsibilities of fatherhood. That was back in the spring '07. Fast forward to July of 2008. The economy and a couple of other things to boot has put us in a position where I had to go and get a part time job. Guess where. Yep, the airport. It has called me back. I started my training a week and a half ago and just finished it up last Saturday. 160 hours in 11 days (this was just the training part at the airport along with my other job, I'm not working those kind of hours now...lest you think I'm neglecting my family.) The training is done and I am working my new schedule as well as my regular full time job. I think my dad is the most excited out of anyone seeing as he's retired and is able to take full advantage of my flight benefits.
I am hoping that I can take Tera and Emma with me on a short trip somewhere at some point. Maybe out east, west, north or south? Who knows. Any suggestions? Have a nice week.

J

2 comments:

Tricia said...

OH Jason......that is a ton of work. Wowzer......

COME TO DC!!!!!! :)

We could take the kiddos to the zoo or just play at the children's museum or by the pool!

:) I miss Tera and I want to see her again!

Lynn said...

Aww Jason... I DO feel for you. My Bobby works hard as well. With five kids, and me staying home, he has always worked two and three jobs to try to make ends meet - no luxuries - just survive.

Sadly after more than 30 years in the work force, he was laid off 3 weeks after 9-11 and we spent nearly 17 months jobless. SCARY times! Finally he was able to get on in his field again - electrical supply sales. BUT he started over salary-wise.. NOT cool! We didn't start over childless!! We still had 5 growing kids and inflated living expenses - but started over nearly 20 years backwards, salary-wise.

Now, about 7 years later, we are "almost" making what he made when he lost the job. And inflation is ever rising. The cost of living continues to spiral out of control... and we are struggling to make ends meet. No extras... just trying to pay house, utilities, insurance and car, and EAT. We can do all except eat, on what he makes now!

If we starve and go naked we can get along.

I guess you know where this is going..... we have to eat and kids outgrow clothes and shoes, so other things are continually behind, and I feel we are sinking.

There is no way for me to make up the difference needed - I would only earn minimum wages. And who would take care of all the needs of growing kids?

Bobby is getting older. We both are. He just turned 58 and doesn't have the stamina to work two and three jobs anymore. He picks up extra work when available, through a former employer, but it is straining, back breaking labor - just can't do that forever. And the work is sporadic... not to be counted on for regular supplementing of our income.

I wonder.. and worry a lot. What will happen to us, if he becomes unable to work? We have no savings, nothing to fall back on. We have needed everything we ever made, just to survive.

A LOT of people are in this position... what happens to those people when they don't have a paycheck anymore, for one reason or another?

My heart goes out to men, to daddies and husbands who are working hard to try to provide well for their families. These are scary times for wives and children as well. People are wicked.. people are evil and we don't want to have to leave our babies in the care of others... others who may hurt them.. or worse. : (

It is a terrible situation and I don't know any answers. But you are not alone.

May the Lord supply our needs and give us wisdom to know how best to use what is given to us.

Love to you all,
Lynn